Difference between revisions of "Main Space"
|Line 6:||Line 6:|
Revision as of 14:59, 20 February 2014
The Kumu Wiki is organized into different content areas to accommodate different needs. The root, or mainspace, of the wiki is primarily a shared community space and articles in this section should be encyclopedic in nature, appeal to a broad audience, and be reflective of TRU. Titles should be as specific as possible and not use abbreviations or acronyms. Each article should start with an introductory sentence describing what the page is about. Articles that do not meet this criteria may be moved. Pages in the mainspace belong to the wiki community and anyone should feel free to edit them.
- 1 Adding Content
- 2 Explore TRU
- 2.1 Academic Subjects and Topics
- 2.2 Administrative Offices, People, and General TRU Topics
- 2.3 Campus, Campus Buildings, Dorms
- 2.4 Campus Life
- 2.5 Colleges, Faculties, Schools, Departments, Initiatives
- 2.6 Computers, Internet, IT
- 2.7 Educational Resources
- 2.8 Events, Conferences, Seminars, Presentations
- 2.9 Library Resources
- 2.10 Student Organizations
- 3 Tips for Creating Great Articles on the Main space of the Wiki
|- | width="22%" valign="top"|
Academic Subjects and Topics
Administrative Offices, People, and General TRU Topics
Campus, Campus Buildings, Dorms
Colleges, Faculties, Schools, Departments, Initiatives
Computers, Internet, IT
Events, Conferences, Seminars, Presentations
Tips for Creating Great Articles on the Main space of the Wiki
The root of the wiki is a community space and when you create a page in this section, it should be with a large audience in mind.
Articles that are for a specific or limited audience, such class pages or pages created as a collaborative work space for an assignment, should be placed in the Course space and not in the root of the wiki.
Think About the Greater Context
Again, the Main Space is a shared, community area. The Main Space does not allow subpages, so each page should make sense as a stand alone article on its own. For example, a page called "My Assignment" would not be a good main space page as:
- "My Assignment" is a page with an individual author and purpose. The Main Space is a community area where everybody is encouraged to edit additional pages.
- "My Assignment" does not really make sense contextually as a stand alone page. It would better fit as a subpage of a course page.
Make the Title as Concise and Descriptive as Possible
Most articles will have a simple and obvious title; however you should keep that the title should accurately reflect the content.
Add Your Page to a Category
Adding categories to your page makes it easier for others to find and also helps facilitate knowledge sharing.
Keep Making Improvements
An article seldom comes into creation as a finished piece. Don't worry about making multiple edits or coming back at a later time to add more content. If you see other pages that you can add extra content to or help out with the formatting, jump right it.
Be Mindful of Copyright
As a general rule, please do not copy-paste text from other websites. Please document and provide links to any references you do use.
See also Help:Contributing for more tips on adding articles to the KUMU Wiki.