These are brainstorm notes for what is going to be an Open _______ at Thompson Rivers University from Mid January to Mid March 2015. As part organizing, but also part the theme of showing work, the backstage and the front stage, this Notespace will reflect the planning as we (make it up) as we go. Actually use WikiEmbed plugin to pull into site
- Create Tinyletter for optional signup for email announcements http://tinyletter.com/
- Create email account for show stuff email@example.com
- Create twitter account
- Local version of Assignment Bank (note, probably not for now)
- Local version of Daily Create -- using the new version of http://splot.ca/dailyblank
- Use the SPLOT Notery (when built)
- Use as assignment the TRU Writer http://splot.ca/writer - assignment to take a written paper and add media, links, etc
- Build a version of http://stories.cogdogblog.com as T?? RU Interest Stories- a place for short videos of faculty, researchers, students talking about their subject interests. Make it a video assignment; roll into the site a form for responding to specific questions (why is _____ important to you personally? to the world?)
- Offer TRU participants a blog on trubox.ca
- YouShow site
- On the YouShow site, the Unit assignments will be in a Wordpress Page Structure (so we can create outline structure, like http://ds106.us/open-course
- We will introduce each one via a weekly video Brian and Alan will produce that plays with idea of front stage / back stage. These will be blogged as "announcements" with links to the units
- For each announcement, do a post in a ?? "Backstage" category that does the reflection on how the video was done??
Moving from the Idea Bin to the Done List
- Hashtags for use on twitter #youshowyou #youshowu #youshow15 (the latter has our vote)
- Use Kumu wiki as a resource builder / guidebook?, a user contributed version of http://ds106.us/handbook -- test the Wiki Embed plugin
- Use UBC DIY Media Resources http://diy.open.ubc.ca/ maybe wikiembed from http://wiki.ubc.ca/Documentation:DIY_Media_Cross-Toolkit_Resources
- Start of guide at http://youshow.trubox.ca/guide
Items will be moved here from the Idea Bin... if they happen
- Web site created at http://youshow.trubox.ca/ working on theme sorting, using the Virtue Theme (free)
- Logos and icons
Move from one shot workshop mentality, run a version of ds106 as a local/open PD series. Maybe its a seminar, or a cohort, or a working group, or a studio.
Mobilizing Knowledge via Digital Media and Narrative (yuck) Now recast as "You Show"- at http://youshow.trubox.ca/
Communicating the processes and outcomes of academic research to a general audience calls for both attracting interest and delivering important information (cite Randy Olson, Don't be Such a Scientist). Use methods of story arc, internet based media to spread both awareness and interest. Blah blah on managing a digital presence and participating in a larger community.
The structure is not a class. Regular suggestions distributed via web site for activities of practice, reflection, investigation into creating messages in transmedia (argh) forms. SO content/"assignments" are put out in advance, work is done independently, but networked via syndicated blogs to a hub (can be ds106, or can be one we run here). Regular in person meetings scheduled as means to convene, share, and support. Additional "drop in" lab hours as needed.
What's the shitck? Metaphor? Theme? Studio? a band? Space Traveler? Get Smart? Use ds106 but not as overtly
- 'Our Own Extras -- Narrating Out Loud the Work We Do Parallel with DVD Extras, compare the "movie" with the eduproduct- thesis, paper, lecture. What about the making of, the deleted scenes, the director's commentary?
~8 weeks? a Skeleton outline.
- Monday: Introduce topic with post and video
- Wednesday or Thursday: Schedule in person meetup
- Tuesday, Friday: Open office hours
- Sunday: Post weekly summaries
- (0) Ramp up, prep / get ready. Set up a studio space- hosted TRU blog, Wordpress.com, Blogger, tumblr, or even self hosted. Twitter, Youtube or vimeo. Create Kumu account Not about learning blogging. (use bootcamp prep units 1 & 2 http://ds106.us/open-course/unit-1-bootcamp/ and http://ds106.us/open-course/unit-2-more-bootcamp/ Prompt questions about interest area, how typical communication of ideas happens, how wide is the circle you communicate with about this work? How do you explain to your family?
- (1) Week of Jan 12 Arcs and Shapes in story why entertainment works. What is share of reveal in a paper? a conference presentation? Audience. Expectations. Listening to audio.
- For video green screen w/ vonnegut
- event: Alan Talk on What Works in Sttorytelling
- Use TRu Writer to publish existing paper, add web affordances (media, links)
- (2) Week of Jan 19 Mobilizing Through Images photography, visual elements, power of captions
- (3) Week of Jan 26 Mobilizing Through Visual Design elements of design
- (4,5) Weeks of Feb 2 and 9 The Sound of Knowledge Mobilization audio (2 weeks) produce a mini documentary audio about your interest area
- Example Moon Grafitti http://www.thetruthpodcast.com/Story/Entries/2012/2/12_Moon_Graffiti.html
- Sound Story assignment
- Create a multi-voice edit intro to something you've created/written ike Mailchimp opening bit https://soundcloud.com/mollyfitzpatrick-2/mailchimp-promo-on-serial on Serial see also http://qz.com/298094/how-mailchimps-irresistible-serial-ad-became-the-years-biggest-marketing-win/
- Assignment: Interview yourself
- (6,7) Weeks of Feb 16 and 23 Video (2 weeks) - produce a Personal Interest Trailer video
- (8) Week of March 2 Remix some sort of final, presentations March 6