A start of wiki ideas in a completely organic messy wiki-like structure. Eventually spin out and transclude it back in, baby.
Generate participation, what can be a draw? Demo projects.
How to leverage media more, create more use? What can be connected to, borrowed from Wikimedia Commons? Run a featured image in front page?
This is neat- links to random uploaded file Special:Random/File
Move from one shot workshop mentality, run a version of ds106 as a local/open PD series. Maybe its a seminar, or a cohort, or a working group, or a studio.
Mobilizing Knowledge via Digital Media and Narrative (yuck) Communicating the processes and outcomes of academic research to a general audience calls for both attracting interest and delivering important information (cite Randy Olson, Don't be Such a Scientist). Use methods of story arc, internet based media to spread both awareness and interest. Blah blah on managing a digital presence and participating in a larger community.
The structure is not a class. Regular suggestions distributed via web site for activities of practice, reflection, investigation into creating messages in transmedia (argh) forms. SO content/"assignments" are put out in advance, work is done independently, but networked via syndicated blogs to a hub (can be ds106, or can be one we run here). Regular in person meetings scheduled as means to convene, share, and support. Additional "drop in" lab hours as needed.
What's the shitck? Metaphor? Theme? Studio? a band? Space Traveler? Get Smart? Use ds106 but not as overtlyy
~8 weeks? a Skeleton outline.
- (0) Ramp up, prep / get ready. Set up a studio space- hosted TRU blog, Wordpress.com, Blogger, tumblr, or even self hosted. Not about learning blogging. (use bootcamp prep units 1 & 2 http://ds106.us/open-course/unit-1-bootcamp/ and http://ds106.us/open-course/unit-2-more-bootcamp/ Prompt questions about interest area, how typical communication of ideas happens, how wide is the circle you communicate with about this work? How do you explain to your family?
- (1) Arcs and Shapes in story why entertainment works. What is share of reveal in a paper? a conference presentation? Audience. Expectations. Listening to audio.
- (2) Mobilizing Through Images photography, visual elements, power of captions
- (3) Mobilizing Through Visual Design elements of design
- (4,5) The Sound of Knowledge Mobilization audio (2 weeks)
- (6,7) Video (2 weeks)
- (8) Remix some sort of final