PMAC - Program Market Analysis Committee
Terms of Reference
The Committee is tasked with proposing, discussing and making recommendations to the AVP Open Learning concerning the following topics:
- Creation of new OL courses and/or programs,
- Suspension or cancellation of OL courses and/or programs,
- Major revision of OL courses and/or programs,
- Changes in course modality.
In making these recommendations the Committee is tasked with taking into account:
- Alignment with TRU strategic plans and priorities
- Availability of OL's fiscal, human and physical resources,
- Fit with departmental programming and OL student needs
- Sustainability research
- Impacts on enrolment, students, and partners.
The Committee will have representation from each of the academic and vocational areas covered by Open Learning. Normally this representation will take the form of:
- Associate Deans and/or Program Coordinators tasked with OL liaison
- Senior Open Learning Faculty Members (6)
- Director, Curriculum Development (Chair)
- Director, Delivery
- Manager, Enrolment Services
- AVP OL (may attend as necessary)
- Other invited guests for specific agenda items
The Committee will meet once monthly, approximately 1-2 weeks prior to scheduled OL Leadership Team meetings. The Committee will be chaired by the Director, Curriculum Development. Quorum: a simple majority.
Office of the Director, Curriculum Development, Open Learning
Meetings are open to the TRU community.
Any mode requires PMAC, OL-Leadership, Senate, and PCOL approval (development normally only begins once the proposal has passed as far as EPC – and never without OL-Leadership approval). Under exceptional circumstance PMAC may be bypassed.
Developing an additional mode
- Online to Independent Study – Requires PMAC only
- Independent Study to Online – Requires PMAC and OL-Leadership
- Close a method of delivery (meaning another method is available; print, web, dynamic web, online) – Requires PMAC and the Vice-Provost’s approval.
- Closing a course (all methods of delivery) - Requires Senate and PCOL.
Adding a method of delivery within independent study (print, standard-web, and dynamic web)
- Adding Dynamic Web requires OL-Leadership approval .
- Adding Print requires Director of Curriculum Development approval (would rarely occur).
- Adding Standard Web requires Director of Curriculum Development approval.
OL PMAC Course/Program Approval Procedures
New programs, new courses, major course revisions
Ideas and concepts go to Program Coordinator or Academic Director/Associate Dean.
Program Coordinator or Academic Director/Associate Dean develops preliminary proposal including:
- Implications (yes or no)
- Fills out OL Program Market Analysis Committee (PMAC) Course/Program Approval Form
Proposal comes to PMAC for preliminary review and decision to proceed based on:
- Resource availability ($, staff, available expertise)
If proposal requires market analysis, go to Stage 4, otherwise go to Stage 6 should PMAC recommend proceeding with proposal.
Proposal may go to Market Research Analyst for detailed market analysis if deemed necessary.
Proposal comes back to PMAC for review and decision as to whether or not to recommend proposal to OL Executive.
Formal recommendation is provided to OL Leadership Team regarding committing funds to proposal. OL Leadership Team determines if OL will commit development funds for this proposal should all non-OL approvals be given. If successful proceed to Stage 7.
Proposal goes back to Program Coordinator or Academic Director/Associate Dean to develop into formal proposal for approval process, with input from OLFMs, Faculty, and other experts.
Formal proposal goes to Faculty Council (some courses/program changes approved at this level).
Formal proposal goes to Education Programs Committee (EPC) or Graduate Studies Committee if required.
Formal proposal goes to Planning Council for Open Learning for information or action if required.
Stage 11 Formal proposal goes to Senate for information.
Formal proposal goes to Board of Governors if required.
Formal proposal goes to DQAB if required.