Personal profile: Irwin DeVries
I'm Director of Curriculum Development at Thompson Rivers University, Open Learning Division in Kamloops, Canada. We are a founding anchor partner of the OERu. In the past I've called myself an instructional designer, educational technologist, program developer and administrator in open and distance learning, variously in career, professional and academic programs. I now lean toward the term "open educator" but that's a big concept and I don't nearly live up to its full meaning or potential. But I keep trying...and learning...
I'm currently convening the Partner Manual group for the OERu. My earlier projects in WikiEducator have included collaborating on the redesign of the Art Appreciation and Techniques #OERuART100 course, and participating in the planning and hosting of the OERu 2013 meeting at Thompson Rivers University.
PhD Curriculum Theory and Implementation (SFU) Presentation
MA Education (UBC)
BA English (SFU)
Recent research and presentations
- Mackintosh, W., Ker, P., Nichols, M., DeVries, I. & McGreal, R. (2014). Flipping the OERu: Crowdsourcing solutions for sustainable education futures worldwide. Symposium. Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education (Ascilite). Dunedin, NZ.
- Morong, G. & I. DeVries (2014). Open online course design and development: Challenges and promises. OpenEd 2014, Washington DC.
- DeVries, I. & Porter, D. (2014). Getting the mix right: Implementing open education practices. Educational Technology Users Group, Vancouver, B.C.
- DeVries, I. & Morong, G. (2014). Open online course design and development. Canadian Network for Innovation in Education conference. Kamloops, BC.
- DeVries, I. (2013). Open course design and development: A case study in the Open Educational Resource university. PhD, Simon Fraser University (presentation)
- DeVries, I. (2013). Open design and development: Processes and potential. Video recording. OpenCourseWare Consortium Global Conference. Bali, Indonesia
- Friesen, N. & DeVries, I. (2012). Before we leave content behind. OpenEd Conference 2012. Vancouver, BC
- DeVries, I. (2012). The Open Educational Resource university: A view from the inside. Educational Technology Users Group Conference. Vancouver, BC
- DeVries, I. (2012). Panelist: Collaboration technologies: Challenges and solutions. BCNET 2012 Conference, Vancouver, BC
- Richards, G. & DeVries, I. (2011). Revisiting formative evaluation: Dynamic monitoring for the improvement of learning activity design and delivery. 1st International Conference on Learning Analytics, Banff, AB
- Director, Curriculum Development. Thompson Rivers University, Open Learning Division
- Vice President, Accreditation Programs. CMABC Canada
- Director, Learning and Information Services. Justice Institute of British Columbia
- Course Designer, Open Learning Institute (now TRU Open Learning)
- Curriculum Editor. University of British Columbia
- College Editor, Prentice-Hall of Canada, Ltd.
Guitar is definitely up there - I've played in bands and have a number of guitars that are like extra limbs to me! Cooking is definitely fun, especially with a glass of wine close by and good music on the stereo.
Blog Open and Distance Learning