Documentation:Learning Environment/OLFM Information Gathering Session
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The information contained on this page was taken from LMS Brainstorming sessions with 10 senior Open Learning Faculty Members in February/March.
When We think of Good Learning and Teaching and the Systems that Support It What do OLFMs Hope For?
- Default settings to be clear * Good functionality features * Simple* Leverage technology to create new learning experiences * Easy to operate/understand * Straight forward * Intuitive * Friendly * Effortless * Seamless * Easy to grasp and figure out* Interactive * Everyone likes and uses it * Doesn't require hours to learn * Software that makes life easier * Flexible tools and training* Not a huge transition * Competitive in quality online learning * System that works with standard computer software/hardware
- Accessible* Interactive * Integration- to TRU courses/program/technology * Ability to support different course delivery methods * Technology that caters to all generations and tech levels * A system that can work with varying disciplines * Basic structure for all courses but customization to fit the intended learning/teaching experience * A quality product at an affordable price
- On-demand * Live sessions * Social presence (with faculty and other students) * Engagement with materials * Multiple levels of interaction * Collaboration and independence. * Learner-focused * Easy access to resources/assistance* Webcast, rich media presentations * Less calls to IT * Automated way to check on student progress * Support Roles defined * Increase OLFM leverage in course creation * Changes are driven by students and OLFMS * Effective delivery of course content * Let student choose how material is received (send it to me or let me go get it when I want it) * Feedback easy to provide
What Would OLFMs Do Differently (Changes they would like to see)?
- Everything in one place...one login (BB/Portal/Outlook) * One place to enter marks * No need to leave or be directed outside of LMS to access course materials * Integration with Banner * Less steps to complete tasks * Access to entire course without leaving LMS or be directed outside
- Approved ability to update or revise content with ability for admin to track changes * Copy and paste ability within LMS * Option to allow changes in one course container to follow through to other course containers and automatic notification to other OLFMS with same course.
- More customization * Easier updates * Better layout (visually) * Less restrictions * Don’t hide features
- Ability to allow assignment resubmissions (but do not allow student to remove previous submissions) * Post final exam mark and final grade within Blackboard * Ability to access comments and feedback * More room to provide feedback/comments * Timestamp for assignments with due dates * Assignment submissions to work with more than MS documents * Discussion posts having more options (videos, links, picture uploads etc)
- Communication and media incorporated in LMS * Encourage collaboration
- Training prior to release of LMS…no learning as you go
- Personalized support level for students
What Features Would OLFMs Really like to have (Wish List)?
- Live Sessions * Screen captures to help with talking through materials * Ability to mark assignments offline and sync when reconnecting *Plagiarism checker * Ability to CC emails to departments outside of BB * Direct links to Exam information and IT information * Include Final Exam * Real time updating of student list in BB * Mobility – multi-device * Easier Assignment grading within LMS - more tools real estate and flexibility
- Analytics to enable instructor to see if student actually accessed marked assignments (real-time reporting) - Student track own progress and analysis of class * Automated notifications on student progress * Dashboard (Everything in one spot with ability to track own progress and student progress)
- Individualized customization
- Gamification aspects added- similar social media aspects * Ability for students to access course content offline * Ability to personalize learning material – annotate, highlight, comment, notes etc. * Collaboration tools similar to social media * Virtual Classroom for continuous Web Courses (A locked down virtual classroom for students working on the same assignment. Once assignment is submitted student cannot go back in to share answers)
- Integration with other systems (registrations, portal, outlook etc) * Emails and postings to allow multiple attachments * Seamless upload and download of annotated assignments * 24 hour access to help for students and OLFMs * Ability to reuse knowledge throughout course and from other courses * Support focused on functionality instead of troubleshooting * A way to follow-up with students that isn’t seen as nagging
- OLFM mentorship- forum for success stories, and challenges * Workshops to highlight features of LMS