Resources for Primary English Teachers
Resource created for TRU World's Beijing Teacher Education Program - July 2015
Integrated / All Skills
Reading & Writing
Alphabet & Animals: http://www.bemboszoo.com/
Mad Libs: http://www.madlibs.com/
Kid's Click: http://www.kidsclick.org/
Picture Dictionary: http://www.pdictionary.com/
Giggle Poetry: http://www.gigglepoetry.com/
Poem Hunter: http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-months/ (from: http://www.poemhunter.com/)
Fun Brain: http://www.funbrain.com/brain/ReadingBrain/ReadingBrain.html (see examples of comics to use for creative writing).
Journal Writing: See Diary of a Wimpy Kid at http://www.funbrain.com/journal/Journal.html?ThisJournalDay=1&ThisPage=1
Read Write Think: http://www.readwritethink.org/
Guide to Grammar and Writing: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/
Spelling City: http://www.spellingcity.com
Listening & Speaking
Listening & Speaking: http://www.rong-chang.com/listen.htm
ESL Lab: http://www.esl-lab.com/cgi-bin/mail.cgi/list/esllab/
Digital Dialects: http://www.digitaldialects.com/
About ESL: http://esl.about.com/od/englishlistening/
Many Things: http://www.manythings.org/
For Spanish Speakers
- 10 English Pronunciation Errors by Spanish Speakers
- Pronunciation Problems For Spanish-Speaking Learners Of English
- [v vs. [b] | English Pronunciation Lesson for Spanish Speakers] Excellent video lesson.
- ElementalEnglish Youtube channel with several pronunciation lessons.
- Train Your Accent: Accent reduction exercises
Here are some great websites that have a variety of songs to choose from:
- The Big Numbers Song
- Wheels on the Bus
- Farm Animals Song for Teaching English to children Has lyrics to sing along.
- Old MacDonald Had A Farm Lyrics And More | Songs For Kids
Teacher Tube: http://www.teachertube.com/videos/
Figures of Speech
- The art of the metaphor Animated video explanation by Jane Hirshfield
- Similes and Metaphors: Cartoon video by The Bazillions
Online Stopwatch: http://www.online-stopwatch.com/
Techniques and Methodology
Theories of Teaching and Learning
- Language teaching methodologies Overview of theories.
The Direct Method
Here are some video demonstrations of the direct method:
Other useful explanations:
- FluentU The Direct Method of Teaching English: Ideas, Explanations and Sample Lessons
Communicative Language Teaching (CLT)
- The Advantages of Communicative Language Teaching: Article on CLT
- CLT Video: Five Communicative Language Teaching Methods.
- Learning Languages - Communicative Language Teaching
- Communicative Language Teaching .
- Communicative Language Teaching
The Post-Communicative Approach
- The post methods era Slideshare explanation
- TEFL Survival: A gpod example and explanation
- PPP TEFL Teaching Methodology
- PPP Model teaching Video lesson of PPP approach.
- Presentation Stage of a PPP (3Ps) EFL Lesson Good video example.
Total Physical Response (TPR)
- TPR: Article from BBC's Teaching English website.
- TPR Video: Video demonstration of TPR
- Total Physical Response (TPR) Video demonstration and explanation
Lesson Plan Design
- BLOOM’S TAXONOMY and Costa’s Levels of Questioning
- Bloom's Taxonomy: Video from LSU Center for Academic Success
- Bloom's Taxonomy: Finding Nemo
- Bloom's Taxonomy
- Blooms Taxonomy According to Seinfeld
Gardner's Multiple Intelligences