Jump to navigation Jump to search
Social Presence: Engaging and Retaining your Students
- analyze the characteristics of ‘social presence’ in an effective online learning environment
- identify factors or considerations that contribute to student engagement and retention in distance learning environments.
- evaluate effective course facilitation strategies to increase student engagement and retention.
- create and implement strategies to maximize student engagement in distance learning courses.
- identify at-risk students and apply appropriate retention strategies.
- create an environment that supports and enhances social presence in your courses.
- monitor your progress towards achieving your goals resulting in an improved and enhanced social presence in your courses.
- NSSE (does NSSE apply to online?)
- Interaction Equivalency Theorem
Week 1 - Welcome and Intro
- Instructor to post short video
- outside activities
- how to contact? (other, later students, social media)
- Participants to post on challenges they have faced in connecting with students in paced or continuous entry courses.
- reading on social presence
Week 2-3 --
- lit review (NSSE)
- identify a MOOC (Coursera, EdX, Udacity...)
- rate according to initial impressions of engagement and retention strategies
- identify strategies for improving engagement and retention in distance learning
- readings on engagement and retention
- reflect on differences between initial impressions and published strategies and models
- Blog post #2
Week 4-5 --
4 & 5
- video creation module from CMS
- case study
- create video resource explaining suggested strategies to engage with the class depicted in the case study and maximize student retention
Week 6 --
- Review and summarize 2-3 current articles on enhancing teaching presence
- interview a peer or expert
- analyze peer's engagement strategies
- based on the research and your analysis of their engagement and retention practices identify 2-3 goals relevant to enhance social presence in your courses.
- Present strategies for achieving your goals...develop a plan
- identify gaps in your current practice and establish relevant goals related to improving and enhancing your social presence in your courses