TRU Editing Style Checklist
OLA Style Checklist
- Spelling checked—without changes to spelling within quotations.
- Double spaces replaced with single spaces.
- In print documents (but not Web documents ), straight quotation marks (") changed to smart quotation marks (“ ”); straight apostrophes (') changed to smart apostrophes (’). Note: Inch (") and foot (') symbols remain straight.
- Periods and commas placed inside (before) end quotation marks.
- Comma placed before the conjunction (e.g., and, or, but) in any series of at least three items (e.g., apples, oranges, and pears).
- Any variation of the em dash (space hyphen space, space hyphen hyphen space, and hyphen hyphen) changed to an em dash—the long dash—except where an em dash has to be simulated on Web pages.
- Any hyphen intended to mean “to” changed to an en dash, which is longer than a hyphen but shorter than an em dash (e.g., pp. 54–65, not pp. 54-65 or pp. 54—65).
- No spaces around en dashes and em dashes.
- Period or other closing punctuation at the end of every complete sentence, including sentences in graphics and tables.
- Bullets (• or an alternative that the team is using consistently throughout a course) before items in a list except when numbers are needed to show sequence or priority. (Note: Capitalize the first word after the bullet or number.)
- Numbers and metric symbols separated by a non-breaking space (e.g., 2.5 cm, 50 km/h).
- Triad separators consisting of non-breaking spaces in non-monetary numbers of at least five digits (e.g., 10 000 km) unless the project team has agreed to use the comma.
- Triad separators consisting of commas in monetary numbers of at least four digits (e.g., $10,000).
- In text, initial capitals used only for proper nouns, names of parts of courses (e.g., Assignments, Unit 4), and the first word in a sentence or listed item.
- In graphics, initial capital for the first word of each label.
- TRU-OL course codes capitalized and course titles italicized when used within text (e.g., GEOG 230, Introduction to Human Geography).
- SOLID CAPITALS changed to upper and lower case except when required (e.g., NASA, IBM).
- In print documents, italics preferred to bolding for emphasis—and used sparingly.
- In Web documents, bolding generally preferred to italics.
- Inventory number on the lower left corner of the front.
- From the OLA Editorial Style Guide Checklist
2010 Editorial Checklist
This "Course Editing Checklist Jan 2010" document was in dropbox as an interactive checklist, but the wiki doesn't allow the same interactive format as Word. Revisit this to redesign as a table? Do we need this information or is it for external stakeholders? Brian, do you use this form or D4P2? Is this info captured already in Andrea's Course Maintenance Proposal CMP forms? ~ CMW
Course Name: Course Code: Date Submitted to Editing Supervisor: Edit Required: Substantive Edit Copy Edit Proofread Date Required: Modality: Print, Web, Online, Licensed Licensor: _____________
ID/Course Lead: Writer/Tutor/Resources: Course Editor: Editor 2:
Course Components: COMPONENT Edit COMPONENT Edit Course Manual Course Overview Study Guide Course Units No.: _____ Course Modules No.: _____ Suggested Timetable Study Chart Activity Chart Discussions Readings Chapter and page nos. Structure Table of Contents Tables Figures Course Bulletin CIS Item No. Images Media 0 Audio 0 Visual Other: _________________________________________ EXAMS ASSIGNMENTS Practice Exam Answer Key Final Exam Answer Key Assignments Open Learning Faculty Member Guide Quizzes No.: ____ Self Test No.: Answer Keys
THIRD PARTY MATERIAL Package from IPO included Obtain package from IPO New Items added (please provide list) Items no longer used (please provide list) Check citations Check web links Requisitions have been submitted to IPO (including deep links): 0Yes 0 No Requires credit line from licensor Requires credit line to acknowledge 0Writer 0 Reviewer 0 SME Other: _______________________________________________________ 0ISBN: 0 Obtained 0Requested 0 Required
Additional Explanation or Information: