Teaching and Learning Resources Portal/Distance Technologies/Feedback
The Theory and Practice of Feedback in Distance Learning
After this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Describe various theories and applications of effective feedback
- Plan opportunities to give feedback on formative learning activities.
- Use a variety of tools to gather and provide feedback (surveys, rubrics, audio)
- Discuss feedback challenges and opportunities in your courses
1. What is effective feedback?
2. How do we give students feedback? (what kind, how often, what modality, etc.)
3. What tools are readily available to use for gathering and providing feedback?
4. How can meaningful communication encourage assignment submission?
Feedback in Formative & Summative Assessment
Theory: Principles of Effective Feedback
Issues and problems with assessment feedback
Types of Assignments: Discussions, Blogs, etc.
Using Rubrics in Blackboard Learn
Practice with Rubrics & Audio Feedback
TOP 10 INEFFECTIVE WAYS TO GIVE FEEDBACK
1. THIS SUCKED!
2. NO COMMENT
3. ILLEGIBLE HANDWRITING
5. TRY HARDER
7. READ THE COURSE MATERIALS
8. IS THIS YOUR WORK
9. READ THE BOOK - AGAIN!
10. I’LL GRADE THIS IN A MONTH
Please feel free to share your thoughts on feedback:
What kinds of feedback do you give your students?
My students are not on Blackboard so I give them feedback through email. Those students who use MyMathLab can ask me questions through it. I also put detailed feedback on the assignments themselves. How can feedback be used to motivate students and improve their work? How can students be motivated to give feedback?
- 12 Principles of Good Assessment & Feedback
- Feedback Notes for Staff
- Reshaping feedback and assessment
- Re-engineering Assessment Practices in Higher Education
- Effective Assessment in a Digital Age
- ASKe: Assessment Standards Knowledge exchange
- New ways of giving feedback
- ASKe video resources
- Making peer feedback work in three easy steps!
- Adopting a social constructivist approach to assessment in three easy steps!
- The Power of Feedback
- Scoping a vision for formative e-assessment
- Facilitating productive use of feedback in higher education
- Making Sense of Assessment Feedback in Higher Education