OLFM Workshop/Planning/Track 4
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Mary Wilson, Fränzi Ng, Loretta Teng, and Colin Madland
Encouraging Deeper Approaches to Learning
Deep: high level cognitive skills used for activities which require them Surface: low-level cognitive skills for tasks which require high level skills.
- What do we mean by a student's approach to learning?
- How are approaches to learning different from learning styles?
- What is the 3-P Model of Teaching and Learning and how is it relevant to TRU-OL?
- What should SMEs and designers consider when planning learning activities?
- What should facilitators consider while the course is in progress?
- Biggs, J., & Tang, C. (2007). Teaching for quality learning at university: What the student does (3rd ed.). New York: Society for Research into Higher Education & Open University Press. Retrieved from http://site.ebrary.com.ezproxy.tru.ca/lib/trulibrary/docDetail.action
- Biggs, J., Kember, D., & Leung, D. Y. P. (2001). The revised two-factor Study Process Questionnaire: R-SPQ-2F. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 71, 133–149. doi:10.1348/000709901158433
- Biggs, J., & Collis, K. (1982). Evaluating the quality of learning: The SOLO taxonomy. New York: Academic Press.
- Madland, C. (2014) Structured Student Interactions in Online Distance Learning: Exploring the study buddy activity. Unpublished master's thesis, Athabasca University
- Edwards, J (2010) Inviting students to learn: 100 tips for talking effectively with your students.ASCD. Alexandria, Virginia.
- The portal is where participants will collaborate and record their learning during the workshop.
- How might this resource be measured with respect to effectiveness and student learning?
- What activities have been shown to promote deeper approaches? (Kanuka, 2005?)
- Divide participants by discipline?
- Example activity: Kanuka's activities as exemplars, then brainstorm activities then peer review, then talk about Study Buddies
- Differences between facilitating paced and continuous entry courses
- Using language effectively (Edwards) Skype interview?? Franzi to organize.