Difference between revisions of "Notepad:SPLOT"
(Page setup by cogdog)
Latest revision as of 16:08, 11 December 2014
Smallest/Simplest Possible Learning Online/Open Tools/Technology (blame Brian Lamb for the acronym).
Lightweight, low overhead single purpose online tools that do not require logins, and thus location of hosting not an issue. These are ones that would be easy for faculty o deploy pn the open web or even in an LMS
web site: http://splot.ca Multisite
an image comparing widget, e.g. Before/After photos
web site: http://splot.ca/comparator
- See Lincoln in Color Comparator http://splot.ca/comparator/made/28/
- See as sharable link http://splot.ca/comparator/made/28/?show=1
- See as embedded in wordpress post http://mickey.trubox.ca/2014/12/11/lincoln-before-after/
- Interactive Before and After Images Collection of examples from Elearning Examples
- jQuery Before/After Plugin What provides the functionality under the hood
- JuxtaposeJS Probably a much better implementation of this same functionality
- Bob has built one too?
- All posts http://cogdogblog.com/tag/splot
- SPLOTting The Comparator http://cogdogblog.com/2014/10/31/splotting-the-comparator/
- Splaining SPLOT with the Comparator http://cogdogblog.com/2014/11/18/splaining-splot/
- Embed The Before/After Bed http://cogdogblog.com/2014/11/19/embed-the-beforeafter-bed/
- TRU Writer http://splot.ca/writer
- Content can be pasted in from MS Word, most standard formatting preserved
- To be added- documentation for admin options, a user "how to use" guide page, and the linked docs on the editor form (appears now in a lightbox over the form)
- Peek in the SPLOT: TRU Writer http://cogdogblog.com/2014/12/05/splot-writer/
- Need to look more into PressBooks (Clint has set me up a demo account)
- Wordpress editor now much more friendly with accepting content pasted from MS Word- automatically strips out all cruft and junk formatting, preserves basics of headings, lists, bold, italics.
- Possible way to enable WP editor in form http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_editor DONE
- Moving Beyond Just The PDF With A Single Page Report (SPR)
A platform for researchers, academics, teachers, students to share in light way way, their in process notes on how they solve problems, get inspired, etc.
- Options for posting to blog w/o using Jetpack plugin (avoid wordpress.com emails completely)
- The Notery – An Idea for Shared Work Narrating http://cogdogblog.com/2014/11/23/the-notery/
Not quite splot, but develop a Wordpress Theme for anyone who wants to run a Daily challenge site like ds106 Daily Create http://tdc.ds106.us/ Responses to a DailyX would be submitted by tweeting a reply to an account and including a link and a hashtag.
- Partial Intro to the Daily Blank http://cogdogblog.com/2014/12/01/partial-intro-daily-blank/
- The Brancher (fork off someone else's post) http://cogdogblog.com/2014/11/26/splot-brancher/
- Wordpress hosted version of Pechaflickr http://pechaflickr.net
- Textualizer - create animated view of series of sentences. http://kiro.me/projects/textualizer.html
- Word Cloud effect http://www.jqueryscript.net/demo/Awesome-Tag-Cloud-Plugin-with-jQuery-Html5-Canvas-awesomeCloud/
- Some sort of graphing / data vis? http://code.shutterstock.com/rickshaw/
- Not sure how to make an editing interface, but this library to generate subway map graphics is rather awesome http://kalyani.com/2010/10/subway-map-visualization-jquery-plugin/ Maybe a visualization of the Brancher
These ideas from Kelly's email
- Vocabulary activities:
- Matching: if students insert the vocab word, is there an app that can define it and then generate an activity (matching game, etc.)
- Graphic Organizers / Mind Maps
- Word Clouds
- Other examples: http://www-969.ibm.com/software/analytics/manyeyes/#/visualizations
- Flow charts
- Whiteboard / post-it type app for brainstorming
- lots of stuff available like http://timeline.knightlab.com/
- Peer Editing
- Highlighting and commenting tools