A start of wiki ideas in a completely organic messy wiki-like structure. Eventually spin out and transclude it back in, baby.
Generate participation, what can be a draw? Demo projects.
How to leverage media more, create more use? What can be connected to, borrowed from Wikimedia Commons? Run a featured image in front page?
This is neat- links to random uploaded file Special:Random/File
Smallest Possible Learning Online Tools (blame Brian). Lightweight, low overhead single purpose online tools that do not require logins, and thus location of hosting not an issue.
- Site home http://splot.ca Multisite wordpress where each sub site is new tool
- Comparator (image comparing widget) http://splot.ca/comparator
- Daily Blank (wordpress theme to create daily challanges) http://splot.ca/dailyblank
- Writer (prototype generator to create medium/parallax type articles) http://splot.ca/writer
- Wordpress hosted version of Pechaflickr http://pechaflickr.net
- Textualizer - create animated view of series of sentences. http://kiro.me/projects/textualizer.html
- Word Cloud effect http://www.jqueryscript.net/demo/Awesome-Tag-Cloud-Plugin-with-jQuery-Html5-Canvas-awesomeCloud/
- Some sort of graphing / data vis? http://code.shutterstock.com/rickshaw/
- Not sure how to make an editing interface, but this library to generate subway map graphics is rather awesome http://kalyani.com/2010/10/subway-map-visualization-jquery-plugin/
- All posts http://cogdogblog.com/tag/splot
- SPLOTting The Comparator http://cogdogblog.com/2014/10/31/splotting-the-comparator/
- Splaining SPLOT with the Comparator http://cogdogblog.com/2014/11/18/splaining-splot/
- Embed The Before/After Bed http://cogdogblog.com/2014/11/19/embed-the-beforeafter-bed/
- Need to look more into PressBooks (Clint has set me up a demo account)
- Wordpress editor now much more friendly with accepting content pasted from MS Word- automatically strips out all cruft and junk formatting, preserves basics of headings, lists, bold, italics.
- Possible way to enable WP editor in form http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_editor
A platform for researchers, academics, teachers, students to share in light way way, their in process notes on how they solve problems, get inspired, etc.
- Options for posting to blog w/o using Jetpack plugin (avoid wordpress.com emails completely)
- Postie Plugin http://postieplugin.com/ (has settings for default categories, codes for doing images a bit more manual)
- Post by Email https://wordpress.org/plugins/post-by-email/
- The Notery – An Idea for Shared Work Narrating http://cogdogblog.com/2014/11/23/the-notery/
Not quite splot, but develop a Wordpress Theme for anyone who wants to run a Daily challenge site like ds106 Daily Create http://tdc.ds106.us/ Responses to a DailyX would ne submitted by tweeting a reply to an account and including a link and a hashtag.
- Site in Progress http://splot.ca/dailyblank
- Guthub Repo http://github.com/cogdog/dailyblank
- Partial Intro to the Daily Blank http://cogdogblog.com/2014/12/01/partial-intro-daily-blank/
Under the knowledge mobilization banner why not create a TRU version of http://stories.cogdogblog.com - the theme is already built. Get your video crew to do short (3-5 minutes) with faculty, students- What their research means to them; what it means for other people.
Move from one shot workshop mentality, run a version of ds106 as a local/open PD series. Maybe its a seminar, or a cohort, or a working group, or a studio.
Mobilizing Knowledge via Digital Media and Narrative (yuck) Communicating the processes and outcomes of academic research to a general audience calls for both attracting interest and delivering important information (cite Randy Olson, Don't be Such a Scientist). Use methods of story arc, internet based media to spread both awareness and interest. Blah blah on managing a digital presence and participating in a larger community.
The structure is not a class. Regular suggestions distributed via web site for activities of practice, reflection, investigation into creating messages in transmedia (argh) forms. SO content/"assignments" are put out in advance, work is done independently, but networked via syndicated blogs to a hub (can be ds106, or can be one we run here). Regular in person meetings scheduled as means to convene, share, and support. Additional "drop in" lab hours as needed.
Use as parts of course:
- Local version of Assignment Bank
- Local version of Daily Create
- Use Kumu wiki as a resource builder / guidebook?
- Use same theme as ds106? http://para.llel.us/themes/salutation-wp/ and/or use something that offers the tabs shortcode http://para.llel.us/themes/salutation-wp/shortcodes/tabs-and-toggles/ so inline we can offer different prompts for Portfolio, Research, strands? e.g. like http://ds106.us/handbook/success-the-ds106-way/quick-start/
What's the shitck? Metaphor? Theme? Studio? a band? Space Traveler? Get Smart? Use ds106 but not as overtly
Utopia? Now is the future retro
Our Own Extras -- Narrating Out Loud the Work We Do Parallel with DVD Extras, compare the "movie" with the eduproduct- thesis, paper, lecture. What about the making of, the deleted scenes, the director's commentary?
~8 weeks? a Skeleton outline.
- (0) Ramp up, prep / get ready. Set up a studio space- hosted TRU blog, Wordpress.com, Blogger, tumblr, or even self hosted. Not about learning blogging. (use bootcamp prep units 1 & 2 http://ds106.us/open-course/unit-1-bootcamp/ and http://ds106.us/open-course/unit-2-more-bootcamp/ Prompt questions about interest area, how typical communication of ideas happens, how wide is the circle you communicate with about this work? How do you explain to your family?
- (1) Arcs and Shapes in story why entertainment works. What is share of reveal in a paper? a conference presentation? Audience. Expectations. Listening to audio.
- (2) Mobilizing Through Images photography, visual elements, power of captions
- (3) Mobilizing Through Visual Design elements of design
- (4,5) The Sound of Knowledge Mobilization audio (2 weeks)
- (6,7) Video (2 weeks)
- (8) Remix some sort of final
- ETUG Fall Workshop (Nov 13, Vancouver) http://etug.ca/tag/fall-workshop-2014/
- TRU OpenLearn ID meeting (Nov 26, 2014) Discuss ID web site
- OERu Planning/Tech Working Group meeting (Nov 28, 2014) Notes