Documentation:Learning Environment/Student Survey Results/OL Student Course Evaluation and Exit Surveys
Previous Course Evaluation and Exit Surveys were reviewed to determine answers to some of the questions posed in the "What do we need to find out?" section of the information gathering process.
Do Open Learning students want to interact? Or do they prefer individual work?
Comments from Course Evaluation Survey vary – generally, students want more interaction with their peers and with OLFM. However, some say they didn’t sign up for an interactive format Comments from Survey Respondents (Course Evaluation Survey):
- Better feedback
- Lots of silos in Blackboard
- more online blackboard sessions - really enjoyed that interaction
- nice to hear what someone is trying to teach you sometimes rather than just reading the information.
- Scheduled web seminars and if this existed already, supplied meeting times and information on this would have been invaluable to me.
- Some type of interactive content or perhaps some links to interesting videos or websites.
- Talking to an actual person who would actually help me with me technical problem formatting the assignment.
- The online BB Collab was great, however, if we could have video interaction while using the website. This would help with student interaction while presenting, because the video would help with ongoing feedback for viewers.
- useful media but was out of date; no real interaction with other students (online chat & status never worked); library access not easy and requires another set of pins;
- Webcast lectures would make it so much easier to retain the information.
What are students' needs (functionality-wise)?
Themes generated out of the Course Evaluation Survey results (looking at comments specific to BBL):
- Additional Resources
- Better layout/themes
- Introduction to system/training on how to use it
- IT support
- More accessibility
- More interaction
- More media
- More streamlined and organized
- Outdated or missing links/materials
- Up to date/system that works
What does not work well in Blackboard?
From Exit Survey: Access to Library materials and includes useful media appear to be areas of greatest concern overall.
208 BBL comments from CE Survey (FY2012-FY2015) that are specific to BBL – top 3 issues in each category:
- Better layout/interface: 51 (24.5%) of the comments from respondents referred to the need for a better layout and set up of the course in Blackboard. Students are finding it hard to find where everything is and that the course layout is not very user-friendly
- More streamlined/organized: 33 (15.9%) of the comments from respondents referred to Blackboard being more organized, streamlined and easier to navigate. Students are having issues having to double-back to find information, finding it in multiple locations, or going through multiple pages to get to things
- Up to date/system that works: 28 (13.5%) of the comments from respondents referred to issues with the system itself, the system would crash or they would get logged out of a session after 15 minutes and would lose their place in the course.
- Other issues:
- Intro to system/training - 28 comments (13.5%)
- IT support – 10 comments (4.8%)
- More accessibility – 5 comments (2.4%)
- Outdate or missing links/material: 31 (14.9%) of the comments from respondents referred to outdated or missing links/material. Students said a lot of the web resources were either no longer available or no longer relevant
- Additional resources: 17 (8.2%) of the comments from respondents referred to having more additional resources in the course – additional learning resources, web resources, training, exercises
- More interaction: 10 (4.8%) of the comments from respondents referred to wanting more interaction in the course – interaction with OLFMs and with other students
- Other issues:
- More media – 4 comments (1.9%)