Documentation:Learning Design: ID Resources
This wiki is contains numerous articles, weblinks, and other resources that relate to instructional design. Feel free to add other resources and provide a brief comment on its usability.
- Rubric for designing courses: This is an interesting rubric developed by eCampus Alberta for assessing online courses
- Writing Learning Outcomes: An excellent guide from BCIT
- Periodic Table for Instructional Design: interactive site about all things ID
- Teaching/Design Methods: This teaching handbook has helpful hints about course design, discussions, group work, technology, etc.
- CMU Instructional Strategies: Another great resource for teaching/design tips.
- CFT Teaching Guides: This site has fantastic resources on learning styles, motivating students, using technology, cooperative learning, and so much more!
- Enhancing Student Learning: Seven Principles for Good Practice: Great resource from Winona State University
- New Educational Approaches: Discusses communication technologies in and out of the classroom
- BCIT's Developing Online Courses: Basic guide to online course development, with accompanying resources, such as checklists and templates.
- Student Workload Calculator: This is helpful for determining how long it takes to do certain assignments
- Quality eToolkit: eCampusAlberta's Quality eToolkit is designed to support post-secondary institutions in the design, creation, and assessment of quality online courses.
- UoT Course Design: great resources from University of Toronto
- Development Guides: Great guides from VCC on learning outcomes, rubrics, blogs, eportfolios, and more.
- Instructional System Design: The ADDIE Model: A Handbook for Practitioners
- Rubric links: Many links from Michigan State University.
- Using Rubrics: links from Cornell
- Sample Rubrics: from different universities
- Evaluating Multimedia Presentations: article with key points and rubric suggestions.
Learning Activities & Assignments
- Online Teaching Activity Index: Contains a list of activities that can be used in online courses.
Digital Media Production
- A Curriculum for Digital Media Creation: Sixteen Lessons, from Storyboarding to Producing a Documentary
- Word Clouds: 5 Ways To Use Word Cloud Generators In The Classroom
- Web Projects: This book describes over 100 web assignments and activities used in elementary to university classrooms.
- How Gamification Reshapes Learning: free e-book
- Serious Games Classification: This site is a collaborative classification system suited to Serious Games, based on multiple criterias (gameplay, purposes, markets and target audience).
- Center for Games & Impact: This focuses on games that provoke a change in the player or the world – change stimulated in part because of the player’s experience with the particular game.
- Playful Learning: This platform aims to ignite the use of quality games for learning in the classroom.
- How to Give an Effective Online Group Presentation: Good tips for students
Teaching & Learning Articles
- Self Regulated Learning: Interesting article
- LMS: Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products
- It’s Not About the Tools. It’s About the Skills: An interesting article focusing on the skills acquired through creating wikis, blogs, podcasts, etc.
- E-learning: A list of books on online course design
- Bloom's Taxonomy: Good to send SMEs for developing learning outcomes and assessments.
- The “All-Time” Best Resources For Educators]: A list of resources for videos, visualizations, games, ESL ideas, technology, writing, and much more.
- Using wikis: some helpful tips.
- JOLT: the MERLOT Journal of Online Learning and Teaching focuses on various aspects of online learning and teaching.
- CJLT: The Canadian Journal of Learning and Technology is a peer-reviewed journal that welcomes papers on all aspects of educational technology and learning.
- BOLDE: A research bank that contains details of books, articles, conference papers and reports on various aspects of distance and online education
Open educational resources (OER) are freely accessible, openly licensed documents and media that are useful for teaching, learning, and assessing as well as for research purposes.
- Saylor: Saylor Academy has built over 300 free, self-paced, online courses.
- The Public Domain Review: Contains many images, books, films, audio that are open
- Creative Commons: search for free resources
- The Great Courses: Has top quality articles, videos, book chapters, and other resources.
- IPO: TRU copyright policies and information
- Digital Toolbox: Great links for communication, collaboration, and creative assignments using technology
- Blackboard Information and Tutorials: Has tutorials for instructors and students.
- Media Team: Great examples of what the OL media team can produce and help with.
- Library: The "Get Research Help" has some great resources.
- TRU-OL Students: Here's an infographic that is a good reminder of who our students are.
- Check format of Leadership is... video