Documentation:Learning Design/Team Task
Template: Collaborative Case Development
#Template: Title (generic or case)--Activity type: Scaffolding, CulminatingActivity type: Culminating
#Template: Title (generic or case)--Linked activities:Linked activities:
In earlier module: Presentation of Story-based Learning, read article on Nurses' Stories, share own story as an icebreaker and to personalize learning.
Preparation for this activity: Read Chapters 12 to 15 in Unit III: Critical Thinking in Nursing Practice; Nursing Assessment and Diagnosis; Planning and Implementing Nursing Care; and Evaluation of Nursing Care; in Canadian Fundamentals of Nursing to review the familiar steps applied to organize and prioritize care when practicing as a registered nurse.
#Template: Title (generic or case)--Interaction types:Interaction types: Student to content, Student to Student, student to self
#Template: Title (generic or case)--Facilitation requirements:Facilitation requirements:
Set up teams, monitor discussions to make sure on right track, prompt if necessary, intercede if groups going off track or if questions raised. Provide feedback at end of activity.
#Template: Title (generic or case)--Activity Patterns:Activity Patterns:
prepare, identify learning needs, collaborate, evaluate and reflect
#Template: Title (generic or case)--Activity tasks:Activity tasks:
Identify learning needs Collaborate on developing a case Evaluate or analyze case Reflect on case and collaborative process
Case or Example: (if needed)
#Template: Title (generic or case)--Learning Environment requirements:Learning Environment requirements:
Tools Support discussion forums, wiki would be beneficial.
Team Task 1: Applying the Nursing Process across the Lifespan
Your online tutor will put you into teams and appoint a presenter for each team. By now you should have received a message from your online tutor telling you who will be in your team and which of you will be the presenter for this task. Each team will be assigned to a particular family member in this []. Presenters help to facilitate team work. Their responsibilities include:
- compiling the group member’s individual contributions into a case story and posting that to the discussion forum as an attached word document at least 2 days before the deadline so that team members can comment and suggest revisions if necessary before the deadline
- moderating discussions, if necessary
- making sure team members stay on task
If your team is working well together, the presenter should not have to do a lot of extra work. Please work together to support each other as much as possible.
Read the [].
- Identify two learning needs in relation to your current knowledge deficits about anatomy and physiology & pharmacology pertaining to the family member your team has been assigned in this case story. For example, if you were assigned Chelsea, the six month old granddaughter, you might identify the following potential learning needs:
- review family nursing and basic pediatric nursing care
- do an update about acute otitis media in terms of anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology
- review fever management and health promotion related to nutrition and dental care for a child less than one year old, especially a six month old.
- Refer to available nursing care plans that are relevant to your family member in the case story. (Refer to the Special Features located at the back of Canadian Fundamentals of Nursing. Here you will find a list of Nursing Care plans.) A similar list of nursing care plans can be found at the back of Pharmacology and the Nursing Process in Canada. These nursing care plans are based on applying pharmacology to the nursing process for selected diagnoses. By referring to these nursing care plans, you can further assess for any knowledge gaps that will influence your capacity to make clinical decisions, for example, when applying the nursing process
In your team’s discussion forum for this activity, post a message identifying the two learning needs you have identified for yourself in relation to the family member you are considering. Working as a group in your team’s discussion forum for this task, draft a case story that would enable you to address your group’s learning needs. Your case story must:
- address at least one of each team member’s learning needs
- include a holistic, family centered approach (refer to “Unit VI Psychosocial Considerations” of Canadian Fundamentals of Nursing)
- be based on developmental theory across the lifespan (refer to “Unit V Caring throughout the Lifespan” of Canadian Fundamentals of Nursing)
- identify at least three selected resources to address learning needs in relation to anatomy, physiology and pharmacology
Read [] to see an example of a case story that would address the learning needs identified above. Once your team has decided on a final version of the case story, the presenter will post a message containing your team’s case story to the discussion forum for this team task entitled "Team Task 1: Applying the Nursing Process across the Lifespan". Take the time to read the other team’s case stories. These case stories will provide you with a more complete picture of the application of the nursing process across the lifespan as each team has considered a different member of the multi-generational family. This knowledge will also be helpful as you complete further assignments in this course.
See schedule for dates. The presenter should ensure that the draft story is posted to the team forum a couple of days before the due date so that any final revisions suggested by team members can be made before the task due date.
Assignment 1: Portfolio Reflection on Team Task 1 (20%)
- In Team Task 1: Applying the Nursing Process across the Lifespan, you composed a case story related to a family member in the Multi-Generational, Blended Family Case Story provided, which would enable you to address your group’s learning needs.
- In your portfolio, copy your team’s final case story. (5 marks)
- Write a reflection on this activity (approximately 500 words), which includes the following:
- Comment on your contribution to the team task. Include quotes from two of your own contributions to the team discussion forum that exemplify how you influenced the case story your group developed. In particular, choose two quotes which demonstrate questions or comments that you posed to facilitate critical thinking about demonstrating a family centered holistic approach to the case story? Identify the postings by date. (5 marks)
- Is there anything you would add to the case story? If yes, describe the change and explain how your proposed change(s) reflect your own learning needs and enhance your capacity to apply the nursing process in clinical decision-making. If no, substantiate your reasons to keep the case story the same. You could explain how the case story specifically meets your learning needs and enables you to apply the nursing process in clinical-decision making. (5marks)
- Is there anything you would do differently in a future team task? If yes, describe. Also, include any comments you have about how this group work advanced your empirical knowledge about anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, and nursing science, as well as your theoretical knowledge about family theory and assessment, diversity and other factors involved in a holistic approach. (5 marks)