Creating a Positive Presence in Your Virtual Classroom
This course focuses on the creation of a “Teaching Presence” with building knowledge and skills required to create a positive learning environment and bring the human touch to the virtual class while developing and evaluating strategies for efficient time management.
What is Teaching Presence?
From the Community of Inquiry website at Athabasca University, teaching presence is defined as the design, facilitation, and direction of cognitive and social processes for the purpose of realizing personally meaningful and educational worthwhile learning outcomes.
Intended Learning Outcomes
You will be able to
- analyze the characteristics of ‘teaching presence’ in an effective distance learning environment;
- critique your teaching presence in light of the characteristics of effective distance learning environments;
- evaluate the ways that interactions occur in a distance learning environment and develop ideas to encourage high quality educative interactions;
- devise, implement, and reflect on the effect of these strategies for efficient time management;
- explore the use of digital tools to enhance teaching presence and promote student learning;
- identify gaps in your current practice and establish relevant goals related to improving and enhancing your teaching presence in your courses;
- monitor your progress towards achieving your goals resulting in an improved and enhanced teaching presence in your courses.